Monday 6 June 2011

Rest day

Today is a cardio rest day, but I don't want to rest! I want to get out there and run and bike and push myself to the next level!

I know muscles need time to repair and that if I don't rest, I increase the chance of injury and fatigue. I don't know if it's my head or body that isn't listening because it wants to get out there and pound the pavement. Am I developing an Athlete's attitude? Am I starting to suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome? Is my morning coffee causing me to be dehydrated and now I'm not thinking clearly? I can only hope the first question is the answer...

Last week I set myself up on a 24 week marathon training plan that includes the cycling that I've been doing for the last few months. I have no current plans to actually sign up for a marathon but it would be nice to be able to run that distance and it will put me a bit closer to actually being able to keep up with my wife, the real runner in the family. The plan starts off to accommodate beginners and is only three days a week. After this weekend's 10k run, I am definitely going to take a closer look at the plan and add a couple more days, so I run five days a week, and move further into the plan so that the distances are greater. I hope I'm not setting myself up for failure here.

I have a dream here, a method to my madness. When our son is old enough (he's almost 9 now) to be alone for a few hours at a time, I would like to be able to run with Debra and not slow her down (too much). We could even run in the same events and encourage each other to set new PRs. Okay, I'm sure it'll be more like her dragging me along for the first few kilometers and then just taking off to run her own race. That would be okay as it would give her time to locate the coffee tent and/or medical tent for me at the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment